Do You Have Any Of These Plants In Your Garden or House? They Are the Reason You Are Always Taking Your Cat to the Vet Clinic

Posted on: 28 March 2016

Did you know that there some plants that are toxic or poisonous to your cat? These plants can cause constant illnesses to your cat and even death in severe cases. For this reason, it is of great significance to check the safety of your household or garden plants before planting them or before your cat gets access to them. While most cats are fastidious, some of them—especially the young and inquisitive kittens—are at most risk of chewing on the harmful plants. Since they love climbing and exploring you may not easily keep the plants out of the reach of your cats.

Here are some of the poisonous plants that are behind your constant trips to the vet clinic.

Autumn Crocus 

This plant is highly toxic to your cat and can cause severe gastrointestinal bleeding, respiratory failure, vomiting, and kidney and liver damage. Signs and symptoms can either be seen immediately or delay for a couple of days. The entire plant is poisonous.


Lilies are other highly dangerous and toxic plants that you shouldn't have in your garden or household if you own a cat. The whole of this plant is toxic. Therefore, ingestion of any part of the plant, even in small amounts, can pose serious health risks to your cat. Some of the signs associated with lily poisoning include physical weakness, vomiting, and diarrhoea. If you don't take your cat to the vet as soon as you observe these signs, you might have to deal with cardiac arrest or kidney failure.

Elephant Ears    

If your cat is affected, you may observe drooling and vomiting. Other signs, which are usually accompanied by oral pain, include swelling of the tongue and lips, and burns around the mouth.


Azaleas will have a serious effect on the health of your cat. Since the entire plant is poisonous, chewing even on a few of the flowers will lead to excessive drooling, vomiting, and diarrhoea. Severe cases of poisoning by azaleas can lead to a coma and eventually death of the cat, which is why you need to give it immediate vet attention as soon as you see the signs.


For hyacinths, the bulb is the most poisonous part of the plant. If your cat chews on this bulb, this can result to irritation of the oesophagus and mouth tissues. Some of the signs of hyacinth poisoning include diarrhoea, profuse drooling, and vomiting.